
Beloved French Restaurant Monopole To Close This September

One of Sydney’s most elegant restaurants, Monopole, is set to close its doors on September 6 after 13 years of service.
Known for their ability to blend classic technique with contemporary flavour, the restaurant resides in the heart of Sydney’s CBD, blending French wine culture with warm and refined dining.
The restaurant’s co-owner Brent Savage claims that the closure is result of the end of lease closure, but as the slow winter trade to continued to impact restaurants within the CBD, many factors contributing to the closure.
Savage said, “Monopole had been searching for new operators”, and is unsure about the restaurant’s future direction, but has considered all options.
New venture in CBD for Bentley
Located in Potts Point for over 8 years, the restaurants arrived in the CBD in 2020, shifting from a wine bar to an elegant French venue last year.
As one of the most expansive and successful restaurants operating within Sydney, the Bentley restaurant group announced that they will be opening in Sydney’s CBD with King Clarence and Eleven Barrack with another new venue – Watermans – to open in spring at Barangaroo.
Former owner of Barzaari in Marrickville, Darryl Martin, will headline the Watermans Kitchen.
Savage says that some of the dishes they are incorporating into their new menu include warm hummus with green zhoug; pickled watermelon and raw tuna salad with sumac; whole roasted John Dory with chermoula; and pomegranate slow cooked lamb shoulder with picked radishes and black lime.
The new menu will find its way to the 120-seat restaurant at the Barangaroo precinct, where Bentley crew have previously operated the now closed Cirrus Dining.
In a joint statement by business partners Nick Hildebrandt and Brent Savage said, “Monopole was a ground breaking wine bar when we opened it and has always pushed the envelope, holding two hats for 10 years and winning multiple awards for its wine lists.”
The restaurant group isn’t distancing themselves from a return of Monopole.
“If it’s the right site, never say never,” Savage said.
The restaurant will depart on Saturday, December 6, but spring welcomes the businesses operator’s new venue.
Leave a Reply